[tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Sebastian G. <bastik> Sebastian G. <bastik>

[tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Since this isn't an request, but an suggestion I start a new topic.

Just for the case that someone decides that an instruction could be useful.

Debian/Ubuntu Installation-Instruction

- Download the unofficial Debian packages (.deb) that suit your system
(32/64bit)
- Unpack the archive
- Launch your console/terminal
- If you are not root type 'sudo'
- Type 'dpkg -i '
- mark all .deb packages and drag them into the console/terminal
- execute the command
- type your password
- repeat those steps for the desktop integration

Now you can start LibreOffice and it's modules form the menu

This could be included in the wiki or somewhere else. Maybe with
improvements.

bastik
26 Nov 2010, 16:01 (+0100)

--
Impurities make things work and sometime unique.
Go Libre!

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: [tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Le 2010-11-26 10:02, Sebastian G. <bastik> a écrit :

> Since this isn't an request, but an suggestion I start a new topic.
>
> Just for the case that someone decides that an instruction could be useful.
>
> Debian/Ubuntu Installation-Instruction
>
> - Download the unofficial Debian packages (.deb) that suit your system
> (32/64bit)
> - Unpack the archive
> - Launch your console/terminal
> - If you are not root type 'sudo'
> - Type 'dpkg -i '
> - mark all .deb packages and drag them into the console/terminal
> - execute the command
> - type your password
> - repeat those steps for the desktop integration
>
> Now you can start LibreOffice and it's modules form the menu
>

> This could be included in the wiki or somewhere else. Maybe with
> improvements.
>
> bastik
> 26 Nov 2010, 16:01 (+0100)

Hi Sebastian

I did the same thing for Mandriva boxes but left the copy of the
installation routine on the user mailist. It may help if you left a copy
there too.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.user/37

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Hi Sebastian, :-)

You just saved me a long search to retrieve that info from a previous
thread, as I had promised to do a how-to. I'll prepare it and will
file a "bug" to get it included in the Linux downloads. I guess we
could also put it on a Wiki page linked-to from the downloads.

Thanks for your trouble. ;-)

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Hi Sebastian, :-)

I'm getting instructions for Fedora Core at this moment, but I was
wondering if you're also able to explain how to UNINSTALL the beta 2
as well? (Me, I have beta 2 installed, and I'd like to install and
test the beta 3... but how to get rid of the old installation first?)

Sebastian? Anyone?

TIA for this help.

David Nelson

Am 26.11.2010 17:46, schrieb David Nelson:

> Hi Sebastian, :-)
>
> I'm getting instructions for Fedora Core at this moment, but I was
> wondering if you're also able to explain how to UNINSTALL the beta 2
> as well? (Me, I have beta 2 installed, and I'd like to install and
> test the beta 3... but how to get rid of the old installation first?)
>
> Sebastian? Anyone?
>
> TIA for this help.
>
> David Nelson

I didn't test beta2 (on Linux) so I didn't downloaded and installed
beta2. So I didn't had to remove beta2. However removal should be
possible with 'dpkg -r <package-name>', but one needs to know the
package name.

Aptitude might work better. It lists those packages as 'old and
self-created packages' (translated from German 'Veraltete und selbst
erstellte Pakete'). It's possible to mark all packages for removal, so I
guess it's possible to remove all packages with one step, but I haven't
tried yet.

Regards,
bastik

26 Nov 2010, 18:05 (+0100)

--
Impurities make things work and sometimes unique.
Go Libre!

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-26 11:46, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi Sebastian, :-)
>
> I'm getting instructions for Fedora Core at this moment, but I was
> wondering if you're also able to explain how to UNINSTALL the beta 2
> as well? (Me, I have beta 2 installed, and I'd like to install and
> test the beta 3... but how to get rid of the old installation first?)
>
> Sebastian? Anyone?
>
> TIA for this help.
>
> David Nelson

I used the Mandriva package manager. It had all of the LibreOffice rpms
listed. Worked really well with all LO betas.

I don't know how to do this at the command line.

Cheers

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Hi Marc, :-)

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 02:06, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I used the Mandriva package manager. It had all of the LibreOffice rpms
> listed. Worked really well with all LO betas.
>
> I don't know how to do this at the command line.

I'm drafting the how-to's at this second. You want to write some
instructions for Mandriva, using their package manager system, and
post them back here quickly? That way I can include those too?

TIA if so... ;-)

David Nelson

eskroni eskroni

Re: [tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Hi David,

Am Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:46:54 +0800
schrieb David Nelson <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Sebastian, :-)
>
> I'm getting instructions for Fedora Core at this moment, but I was
> wondering if you're also able to explain how to UNINSTALL the beta 2
> as well? (Me, I have beta 2 installed, and I'd like to install and
> test the beta 3... but how to get rid of the old installation first?)

AFAIK, you don't have to uninstall the old version, if you install a
newer one. For Windows, this does the installer automatically - it
checks if you have a previous version and uninstalls it first. For
Linux, if you use rpm, the command

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

the "U" stands for "Update", so it means, that previous versions get
uninstalled too.

IIRC, the Mandriva version "urpmi" does this too - I don't know for the
other Linux flavours.

I hope, this helps.

Sigrid

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: [tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Sigrid Carrera
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> AFAIK, you don't have to uninstall the old version, if you install a
> newer one. For Windows, this does the installer automatically - it
> checks if you have a previous version and uninstalls it first. For
> Linux, if you use rpm, the command

You don't have to for the core system deb files but because the
windows manager integration (gnome/kde/xfce) package is labeled as a
seperate program for each beta release and not an update there is a
conflict.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-26 13:16, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi Marc, :-)
>
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 02:06, Marc Paré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I used the Mandriva package manager. It had all of the LibreOffice rpms
>> listed. Worked really well with all LO betas.
>>
>> I don't know how to do this at the command line.
>
> I'm drafting the how-to's at this second. You want to write some
> instructions for Mandriva, using their package manager system, and
> post them back here quickly? That way I can include those too?
>
> TIA if so... ;-)
>
> David Nelson

Hi David: here are the installation notes that I left on the users
mailist for Mandriva:

======================

Here are the instructions to install the Betas:

Just wanted to make note of the following. If you plan on installing the
LibreOffice v. 3.3 beta on linux, here are some steps that could help
you do an easier install if you are not used to using too much of the
console and prompt.

Install process:

Installation (based on a KDE desktop Mandriva 2010.1)
===========
BEFORE STARTING, UNINSTALL ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF LIBREOFFICE WITH
THROUGH THE MCC AND THEN QUIT THE MCC

1. download LibreOffice from http://www.documentfoundation.org to your
"downloads" folder into a folder called "LibreOffice"
2. open Dolphin
3. browse to the "LibreOffice" folder in the "downloads" folder
4. right-click on the LibreOffice file and choose extract archive here
5. once extracted double-click on folder "en-Us" and then "RPMS" and
then "desktop-integration"
6. in Dolphin do F3 (this will split screen your window)
7.  click in the right window once and click on the "UP" arrow in the
main menu bar up-above in Dolphin
8. you will now have the left window "desktop-integration" and right
"RPMS" windows open
9. in the left window drag the
libreoffice3.3-mandriva-menus-3.3-XXXX.noarch.rpm file to the RPMS
window and choose "Copy" **
10. in Dolphin do F3 and use the "UP" arrow till you are back at the
level where you see the "licenses", "readme", "RPMS" folders
11. right-click on folder RPMS and choose Action-Open Konsole
12. Konsole will now open with a $
13. in Konsole do $su  (this is super user mode)
14. type in your root password
15. in Konsole do #rpm -Uvih *rpm
16. wait till all the packages have installed

-- ** for step 9. -- Note that if you are on Freedesktop drag the
corresponding file instead; if you are on RedHat drag the corresponding
file instead; if you are on Suse drag corresponding file instead

You will now have the LibreOffice v. 3.3.0 BetaX installed and in your
Mandriva menu. However, IF your KDE LibO menu items do not work. To
setup your Mandriva menu, right click on the "Mandriva" start button
(taskbar button with the star) and choose "Edit Menu". Find the
LibreOffice icon (in Office) and click on it once; the right-hand window
of the editing window will become active and choose "Command" -- click
on the folder icon and browse to the Opt/libreoffice3 etc. till you find
the right corresponding command file. Do the same for all of the other
sets of the LibreOffice icons in the start menu.

Hope this helps those who wish to try the LibreOffice v.3.3. beta.
Remember, that this is a beta and may have some hiccups along the way.
The look and feel of the suite has still not been polished.

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [tdf-dicuss] Install Instruction Suggestion

Hi, :-)

You can check this thread for more info:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Request-Installation-Instructions-tp1936136p1980917.html

David Nelson