translation of index entries

Milos Sramek Milos Sramek

translation of index entries

Hi,

we have a small problem with index entries in translation of the GS
guide to Slovak.

To explain: technically, there are two types of index entries,
independent and shared (may own names :)). In the first type, the entry
is independent of the guide text, while  in the second the entry shares
the guide text. The first is presented as a small gray blob between
words, in the second case the shared text is displayed in gray.

The second type causes problems in translation to languages with
inflection, since inflected words get into the index.
We thus need to get rid of the shared entries and to replace them by
independent ones. This can be done only manually.

We will have to do that at least in the final Slovak version - to save
time, I suggest to do that directly in the original. I volunteer to do
that - can I use the version from
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/feedback-lo4.2
? Is somebody else working on these files now?

best
Milos

PS:
We have just joined our forces with the Czech  localization team -
Slovak and Czech are very similar languages and machine translation
Slovak <-> Czech works very well. So I hope that GS42 will be translated
in two languages soon.

--
email & jabber: [hidden email]

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: translation of index entries

Hello Milos,

I've just caught up with my email backlog and have seen this.

I've been drafting GS4211 today (I'm currently in the process of
creating new diagrams so will upload the revised version in the next
couple of days) and have removed all instances of the first type of
index entry you mentioned.  I've deleted any grey blobs between words.
Will that cause any translation problems?  If so, I'm able to amend them
prior to uploading the draft.

Thanks,

Martin

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Milos Sramek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have a small problem with index entries in translation of the GS guide to
> Slovak.
>
> To explain: technically, there are two types of index entries, independent
> and shared (may own names :)). In the first type, the entry is independent
> of the guide text, while  in the second the entry shares the guide text. The
> first is presented as a small gray blob between words, in the second case
> the shared text is displayed in gray.
>
> The second type causes problems in translation to languages with inflection,
> since inflected words get into the index.
> We thus need to get rid of the shared entries and to replace them by
> independent ones. This can be done only manually.
>
> We will have to do that at least in the final Slovak version - to save time,
> I suggest to do that directly in the original. I volunteer to do that - can
> I use the version from
> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/feedback-lo4.2
> ? Is somebody else working on these files now?
>
> best
> Milos
>
> PS:
> We have just joined our forces with the Czech  localization team - Slovak
> and Czech are very similar languages and machine translation Slovak <->
> Czech works very well. So I hope that GS42 will be translated in two
> languages soon.

JohnS and I are working on more changes to Chapters 1, 4, and 5.

--Jean

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: translation of index entries

Martin,
Removing the index entries may not be helpful, because then, instead
of correcting the ones that need to be changed, we have to start from
scratch to re-enter all of them.

However, most chapters need re-indexing anyway, due to not being kept
up to date.

--Jean

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 7:15 AM, Martin Saffron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Milos,
>
> I've just caught up with my email backlog and have seen this.
>
> I've been drafting GS4211 today (I'm currently in the process of creating
> new diagrams so will upload the revised version in the next couple of days)
> and have removed all instances of the first type of index entry you
> mentioned.  I've deleted any grey blobs between words.  Will that cause any
> translation problems?  If so, I'm able to amend them prior to uploading the
> draft.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin
>

> On 10/03/14 11:07, Milos Sramek wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we have a small problem with index entries in translation of the GS guide
>> to Slovak.
>>
>> To explain: technically, there are two types of index entries, independent
>> and shared (may own names :)). In the first type, the entry is independent
>> of the guide text, while  in the second the entry shares the guide text. The
>> first is presented as a small gray blob between words, in the second case
>> the shared text is displayed in gray.
>>
>> The second type causes problems in translation to languages with
>> inflection, since inflected words get into the index.
>> We thus need to get rid of the shared entries and to replace them by
>> independent ones. This can be done only manually.
>>
>> We will have to do that at least in the final Slovak version - to save
>> time, I suggest to do that directly in the original. I volunteer to do that
>> - can I use the version from
>> http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/feedback-lo4.2
>> ? Is somebody else working on these files now?
>>
>> best
>> Milos
>>
>> PS:
>> We have just joined our forces with the Czech  localization team - Slovak
>> and Czech are very similar languages and machine translation Slovak <->
>> Czech works very well. So I hope that GS42 will be translated in two
>> languages soon.

Martin Saffron Martin Saffron

Re: translation of index entries

Hello Jean,

I'll be sure to reverse the removal of any index entries prior to
uploading the draft.

Since I only began removing index entries yesterday while working on
GS4211, any previous drafts that I've uploaded are unaffected.

Thanks,

Martin