type backslash in "Find" dialog

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

type backslash in "Find" dialog

Good evening
Sorry, but I have another stupid question.
I am using a Japanese computer with a Japanese keyboard that I have set
to switch between English (German) and Japanese input.
Activating the US English keyboard does not help.

When I want to use regular expressions in Writer I am supposed to enter
a backslash.
While writing in Writer I get that backslash, but in the Find dialog I
always get the "Yen" mark no matter what I do.
Naturally, find dialog always tells me, there is no such thing as for
example "backslash+p", since the find field
contains on "yen+p".

Is there a trick to tell the Find dialog that I am talking about
"backslash" and NOT "Yen"?
So far all my attempts have failed. (meaning I am unable to use regular
expressions associated with a backslash).

Thank you
Thomas


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Blasejewicz schrieb am 16.05.2018 um 11:51:

> Good evening
> Sorry, but I have another stupid question.
> I am using a Japanese computer with a Japanese keyboard that I have set
> to switch between English (German) and Japanese input.
> Activating the US English keyboard does not help.
>
> When I want to use regular expressions in Writer I am supposed to enter
> a backslash.
> While writing in Writer I get that backslash, but in the Find dialog I
> always get the "Yen" mark no matter what I do.
> Naturally, find dialog always tells me, there is no such thing as for
> example "backslash+p", since the find field
> contains on "yen+p".

The context menu of the input field in the find&replace dialog has an
item "Special Characters" (or Ctrl+Shift+S). Do you have tried that?

Kind regards
Regina

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

On 2018/05/16 20:09, Regina Henschel wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Blasejewicz schrieb am 16.05.2018 um 11:51:
>> Good evening
>> Sorry, but I have another stupid question.
>> I am using a Japanese computer with a Japanese keyboard that I have set
>> to switch between English (German) and Japanese input.
>> Activating the US English keyboard does not help.
>>
>> When I want to use regular expressions in Writer I am supposed to enter
>> a backslash.
>> While writing in Writer I get that backslash, but in the Find dialog I
>> always get the "Yen" mark no matter what I do.
>> Naturally, find dialog always tells me, there is no such thing as for
>> example "backslash+p", since the find field
>> contains on "yen+p".
>
> The context menu of the input field in the find&replace dialog has an
> item "Special Characters" (or Ctrl+Shift+S). Do you have tried that?
>
> Kind regards
> Regina
>
I tried that. In there it is called "reverse solidus" -> Yen / backslash
are identical and ONLY the Yen mark ever appears in the Find dialog.
So, this does not help.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Blasejewicz schrieb am 16.05.2018 um 13:32:
> On 2018/05/16 20:09, Regina Henschel wrote:

> I tried that. In there it is called "reverse solidus" -> Yen / backslash
> are identical and ONLY the Yen mark ever appears in the Find dialog.
> So, this does not help.
>

Then the question is more, why the backslash it converted at all. I
think, that it is not a problem in LibreOffice, but one of the operating
system. In case of Windows 10 you might try the "Advanced Settings for
Microsoft IME". In its part "AutoCorrect" you will find a replacement of
\ to ¥. Perhaps if you set it to "No conversion" the problem goes away.

I cannot test it.

Kind regards
Regina



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

On 2018/05/16 22:25, Regina Henschel wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Blasejewicz schrieb am 16.05.2018 um 13:32:
>> On 2018/05/16 20:09, Regina Henschel wrote:
>
>> I tried that. In there it is called "reverse solidus" -> Yen / backslash
>> are identical and ONLY the Yen mark ever appears in the Find dialog.
>> So, this does not help.
>>
>
> Then the question is more, why the backslash it converted at all. I
> think, that it is not a problem in LibreOffice, but one of the
> operating system. In case of Windows 10 you might try the "Advanced
> Settings for Microsoft IME". In its part "AutoCorrect" you will find a
> replacement of \ to ¥. Perhaps if you set it to "No conversion" the
> problem goes away.
>
> I cannot test it.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina
>
>
>
Good evening.
Yes, I tried that too, but it does not work.
Googling the topic I found an article "Entering a backslash when using
UK keyboard layout on US keyboard" saying that you can get a backslash
by typing <Alt>92.
That gives me again a Yen mark.
Installing a US keyboard layout (again) does not help either.

I guess, I have to think of some other solution.
Sorry for having you all bothered with this.
Thomas

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Toki Toki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

In reply to this post by Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Thomas wrote:

>While writing in Writer I get that backslash, but in the Find dialog I
always get the "Yen" mark no matter what I do.
Naturally, find dialog always tells me, there is no such thing as for
example "backslash+p", since the find field
contains on "yen+p".

What codepage is the computer configured for?

My guess is that LibO is using that codepage for the UI, and UTF-8 in
Write.

jonathon

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

On 2018/05/17 5:36, toki wrote:
> Thomas wrote:
>
>> While writing in Writer I get that backslash, but in the Find dialog I
> always get the "Yen" mark no matter what I do.
> Naturally, find dialog always tells me, there is no such thing as for
> example "backslash+p", since the find field
> contains on "yen+p".
>
> What codepage is the computer configured for?
Sorry, but I don't how I am supposed to look for that information.
I usually use English, German and Japanese and don't have any problems
entering things - except the backslash in the find dialog.
In most cases where a backslash was required in the past, the "Yen" mark
appearing on the screen worked just fine.

>
> My guess is that LibO is using that codepage for the UI, and UTF-8 in
> Write.
>
> jonathon
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
waterbearer54 waterbearer54
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

> Enviar: jueves 17 de mayo de 2018 a las 11:54
> De: "Thomas Blasejewicz" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > My guess is that LibO is using that codepage for the UI, and UTF-8 in
> > Write.
> >
> > jonathon
> --
>
For coding in LO, click on Help  About and you will see it.

Others may be able to help with Windows, but perhaps this link will help a little:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-do-i-change-windows-7-default-charset-from/76d36040-4ee8-421c-afb8-2878a6d68eb5


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

On 2018/05/18 1:01, Roy Reese wrote:

>> Enviar: jueves 17 de mayo de 2018 a las 11:54
>> De: "Thomas Blasejewicz" <[hidden email]>
>>> My guess is that LibO is using that codepage for the UI, and UTF-8 in
>>> Write.
>>>
>>> jonathon
>> --
>>
> For coding in LO, click on Help  About and you will see it.
>
It says there:
"UI render: default
Locale: ja_JP (ja_JP); Calc: group"

Does that mean, I need to change the locale setting of the computer?
Living in Japan and working with a computer running the
Japanese Version of Windows that might not be such a good idea.
I do use an (USA) English UI and changing the locale within Libreoffice
(Tools -> Options -> Language settings) to US English apparently has no
effect.
Anything else I might try?
Thomas

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Thomas Blasejewicz-3 Thomas Blasejewicz-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: type backslash in "Find" dialog

On 2018/05/19 19:22, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> On 2018/05/18 1:01, Roy Reese wrote:
>>> Enviar: jueves 17 de mayo de 2018 a las 11:54
>>> De: "Thomas Blasejewicz" <[hidden email]>
>>>> My guess is that LibO is using that codepage for the UI, and UTF-8 in
>>>> Write.
>>>>
>>>> jonathon
>>> --
>>>
>> For coding in LO, click on Help  About and you will see it.
>>
> It says there:
> "UI render: default
> Locale: ja_JP (ja_JP); Calc: group"
>
> Does that mean, I need to change the locale setting of the computer?
> Living in Japan and working with a computer running the
> Japanese Version of Windows that might not be such a good idea.
> I do use an (USA) English UI and changing the locale within
> Libreoffice (Tools -> Options -> Language settings) to US English
> apparently has no effect.
> Anything else I might try?
> Thomas
>
This is another problem that has NOT been solved.
BUT ... I noticed that in MS Word (I DO NOT like MS products and thus
try to avoid them whenever possible), I can select a backslash
in the text, copy it to the search field -> where it is displayed as the
YEN sign -> AND perform search and replace.
That works.
The very same thing also works in "Textmaker" (Softmaker product).
It DOES NOT work in a text editor.

Since other softwares are actually able to do this little trick, it
would be wonderful if someone could work this bit of computer magic.
Thomas

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy