typographic freaks: footnotes not vertically aligned to last line of body text in following page (as in good typographic style)

siren siren

typographic freaks: footnotes not vertically aligned to last line of body text in following page (as in good typographic style)

in these months Libreoffice gained new useful features and  team has
fixed many long-time-unsolved bugs

but there is a thing that, if we cannot strictly to define as a BUG, is,
at least, a  "defect" regarding the right typography

I mean the behavior of footnotes versus the text body contained in
subsequent pages

professionally formatted books, look like this

http://tli.tl/m2507H

as you can see, footnotes (last footnote) are perfectly vertically
aligned with the last line of text in following page

http://tli.tl/0740NZ (zoom in detail)

while if we insert a footnote in OpenOffice/Libreoffice, this is what we get

http://tli.tl/2mfCgT

an horrible difference between footnote and last line of body text that
result not aligned that makes appereance of documents with footnotes
very ugly

if making this enhancement is not too hard, it will be a great step
toward dtp for LibreOffice

Tom Tom

Re: typographic freaks: footnotes not vertically aligned to last line of body text in following page (as in good typographic style)

Hi :)

I'm not quite seeing the problem, or perhaps just not understanding it.  Admittedly not that unusual tbh.

In both (all 3?) cases the footnotes left and right margins appear to line up with the body of the document.  Both are slightly smaller font-size to help readers distinguish them from the body-text.  Is the problem that the LO ones have less proportional-spacing vertically between lines?

Doesn't LO allow you to directly edit footnotes and change line-spacing and everything else?  If so, or especially if not, i guess it would be better if the default wasn't quite so cramped?

NoOp NoOp

On 12/19/2012 08:16 AM, siren wrote:

> in these months Libreoffice gained new useful features and  team has
> fixed many long-time-unsolved bugs
>
> but there is a thing that, if we cannot strictly to define as a BUG, is,
> at least, a  "defect" regarding the right typography
>
> I mean the behavior of footnotes versus the text body contained in
> subsequent pages
>
> professionally formatted books, look like this
>
> http://tli.tl/m2507H
>
> as you can see, footnotes (last footnote) are perfectly vertically
> aligned with the last line of text in following page
>
> http://tli.tl/0740NZ (zoom in detail)
>
> while if we insert a footnote in OpenOffice/Libreoffice, this is what we get
>
> http://tli.tl/2mfCgT
>
> an horrible difference between footnote and last line of body text that
> result not aligned that makes appereance of documents with footnotes
> very ugly

Sorry, but I'm not seeing what you are. My screenshot:
<http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6830/libreofficefootnotewrit.png>

> if making this enhancement is not too hard, it will be a great step
> toward dtp for LibreOffice

Link to your bug report is where?

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

On 21/12/2012 at 01:03, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, but I'm not seeing what you are. My screenshot:
> <http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6830/libreofficefootnotewrit.png>

They are not aligned vertically. Last line of text on right page is about 3-4
points higher that last line of footnote on left page. Take a ruler and check
for yourself.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

NoOp NoOp

On 12/21/2012 07:08 AM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
> On 21/12/2012 at 01:03, NoOp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but I'm not seeing what you are. My screenshot:
>> <http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6830/libreofficefootnotewrit.png>
>
> They are not aligned vertically. Last line of text on right page is about 3-4
> points higher that last line of footnote on left page. Take a ruler and check
> for yourself.

Cleans eye glasses... Measures. Yep you are correct.
Mea culpa & thanks for pointing that out - I should have looked closer.