unable to reply quickly to mailing list posts

nabbler nabbler

unable to reply quickly to mailing list posts

On 04/11/2010, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Topics (messages 2591 through 2620):
>
> [tdf-discuss] java / phone strategy ..
>       2591 - Michael Meeks <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Re: Java dependency
>       2592 - Kohei Yoshida <[hidden email]>
>       2617 - JustFillBug <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] java / phone strategy ..
>       2593 - Ian <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Copyright Assignments & the Document Foundation
>       2594 - BRM <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Re: Java dependency
>       2595 - Ian <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] New Beta or RC soon?
>       2596 - Robert Boehm <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] New Beta or RC soon?
>       2597 - Thorsten Behrens <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] New Beta or RC soon?
>       2598 - Robert Boehm <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Copyright Assignments & the Document Foundation
>       2599 - Roberto Resoli <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] java / phone strategy ..
>       2600 - Benjamin Horst <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] java / phone strategy ..
>       2601 - "T. J. Brumfield" <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] java / phone strategy ..
>       2602 - todd rme <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] java / phone strategy ..
>       2603 - Ian <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] New Beta or RC soon?
>       2604 - Frank Esposito <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Copyright Assignments & the Document Foundation
>       2605 - jonathon <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] LibreOffice UI should be tweaked, not reinvented
>       2606 - Johannes Bausch <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Old Bugs
>       2607 - Peter Rodwell <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] LibreOffice UI should be tweaked, not reinvented
>       2608 - Michel Gagnon <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] LibreOffice UI should be tweaked, not reinvented
>       2609 - Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Re: Old Bugs
>       2610 - Marc Paré <[hidden email]>
>       2619 - Marc Paré <[hidden email]>
>
> Usability Issues (Re: [tdf-discuss] LibreOffice UI should be tweaked, not
> reinvented)
>       2611 - Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Accessibility (was Java dependency)
>       2612 - Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Re: Old Bugs
>       2613 - Michel Gagnon <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Old Bugs
>       2614 - TomW <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Old Bugs
>       2615 - Graham Lauder <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Re: Old Bugs
>       2616 - Graham Lauder <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] Re: LibreOffice UI should be tweaked, not reinvented
>       2618 - Marc Paré <[hidden email]>
>
> [tdf-discuss] LibreOffice UI should be tweaked, not reinvented
>       2620 - Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]>

The text above is the entire verbatim content of the mail message text
box when the 'reply' function is activated. Please change the mailing
list manager.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: unable to reply quickly to mailing list posts

Hi,

e-letter wrote on 2010-11-04 11.39:
> The text above is the entire verbatim content of the mail message text
> box when the 'reply' function is activated. Please change the mailing
> list manager.

what shall I change? If you have the digest subscription, you can
directly open the e-mails (they are attached) and reply to them. Tested
it out myself.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

On 2010-11-04 7:25 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> what shall I change? If you have the digest subscription, you can
> directly open the e-mails (they are attached) and reply to them. Tested
> it out myself.

How would you know which one it was?

Charles

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: unable to reply quickly to mailing list posts

The number stands in front of the subject that is sent in the digest.

Simos Xenitellis Simos Xenitellis

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:39 PM, e-letter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/11/2010, [hidden email]<discuss%[hidden email]>
> <[hidden email]<discuss%[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
> > Topics (messages 2591 through 2620):
> > [tdf-discuss] LibreOffice UI should be tweaked, not reinvented
> >       2620 - Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]>
> >

> The text above is the entire verbatim content of the mail message text
> box when the 'reply' function is activated. Please change the mailing
> list manager.

Since you are using GMail, it makes perfect sense to avoid the digest mode.

GMail does a good job in following the threads.
In addition, you can setup GMail so that these e-mails are automatically
assigned a label,
and they are archived. To do so,
1. open one such e-mail (for example, this one that you are currently
reading).
2. Click on the ▼ button (top-right of this e-mail frame) and select "Filter
messages like this".
3. GMail automatically identified the mailing list ID (GMail understands
mailing lists) and has added the correct filter.
4. Click on Test to verify anyway. Then click on Next.
5. Now, select a) Archive the e-mail b) Add label - Create new label such as
"DocumentFoundation Discuss", c) click to apply the filter to the existing
matching e-mails, and Submit.

That's it! Your Inbox will be cleared up. You can either read the list
e-mails by selecting the label, or you can click on All Mail to see them all
together.

Simos

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Peter Rodwell Peter Rodwell

Missing function

I notice that the all-important Lorem function is missing
from both OO and Beta2.

In Word 2007 or 2010, type:

=Lorem(12)

and hit return, to see how this works.

P.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: Missing function

A lorem ipsum generator? (that's what google gave me about "=Lorem(12) word")
Try dt and then press F3, or use this extension:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Magenta_Lorem_ipsum_generator

2010/11/4 Peter Rodwell <[hidden email]>:

> I notice that the all-important Lorem function is missing
> from both OO and Beta2.
>
> In Word 2007 or 2010, type:
>
> =Lorem(12)
>
> and hit return, to see how this works.
>
> P.

> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Peter Rodwell Peter Rodwell

Re: Missing function

Quoting RGB ES:
> A lorem ipsum generator? (that's what google gave me about "=Lorem(12) word")
> Try dt and then press F3, or use this extension:
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Magenta_Lorem_ipsum_generator

I was being flippant, of course. It's a feature for which I have absolutely no use whatsoever, although I guess
somebody, somewhere must use it.

P.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Robert Derman Robert Derman

Re: Missing function

Peter Rodwell wrote:

> Quoting RGB ES:
>> A lorem ipsum generator? (that's what google gave me about
>> "=Lorem(12) word")
>> Try dt and then press F3, or use this extension:
>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Magenta_Lorem_ipsum_generator
>>

> I was being flippant, of course. It's a feature for which I have
> absolutely no use whatsoever, although I guess somebody, somewhere
> must use it.
It is used primarily in academic situations as a means of testing
formatting options where you don't want students to be distracted by the
contents of the text.  Since the text is in Latin, a language that few
of them will understand, they will ignore it.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Steven Shelton Steven Shelton

Re: Missing function

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

nabbler nabbler

Re: unable to reply quickly to mailing list posts

Not sure what you mean by attached; in web-mail the messages when
received are inline (in the body of the message).

The number before each message is irrelevant; as I stated, all
messages do not appear in the 'reply' text box.

For comparison in digest mode behaviour, see
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l.

e-letter wrote on 2010-11-04 20.23:
> Not sure what you mean by attached; in web-mail the messages when
> received are inline (in the body of the message).
>
> The number before each message is irrelevant; as I stated, all
> messages do not appear in the 'reply' text box.

I don't know about webmail, but with any mail client, you have a message
with the message numbers and their subjects, and these messages are
attached with the numbers as file names, so it's quite easy to find them
out.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

nabbler nabbler

Re: unable to reply quickly to mailing list posts

I suggest that you have a look at the mailiing list using a web-mail
interface and you see how poor is the functionality. A good mailing
list manager must be functional on both mail clients and web-mail.

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

spaetz spaetz

Re: Missing function

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:39:51 -0500, Robert Derman wrote:
> contents of the text.  Since the text is in Latin, a language that few
> of them will understand, they will ignore it.

If I remember correctly it is not even proper latin and is gibberish in
latin too. It just resembes latin. But then I have been wrong before...

Sebastian

e-letter wrote on 2010-11-05 08.37:
> I suggest that you have a look at the mailiing list using a web-mail
> interface and you see how poor is the functionality. A good mailing
> list manager must be functional on both mail clients and web-mail.

well, the mailing list manager works well and sends out RFC-conform
e-mail digests. There's not more I can do.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

mgagnonlv mgagnonlv

Re: Missing function

Le 2010-11-05 03:40, Sebastian Spaeth a écrit :
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:39:51 -0500, Robert Derman wrote:
>> contents of the text.  Since the text is in Latin, a language that few
>> of them will understand, they will ignore it.
> If I remember correctly it is not even proper latin and is gibberish in
> latin too. It just resembes latin. But then I have been wrong before...
>
> Sebastian

It is latin text modified so it doesn't look readeable. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

jonathon-3 jonathon-3

Re: Missing function

*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***