version control of sorts: it is gone?

Uwe Brauer Uwe Brauer

version control of sorts: it is gone?

Hi

I swear I have seen a  version control of sorts[1], maybe back in the old
days of openoffice. You could manually set versions which tend increased
the size of the file quite a bit because new versions were saved on top
of old ones.

I cannot find this feature anymore. Is it gone?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  or sort of version control if you prefer.

Alan Boba Alan Boba

Re: version control of sorts: it is gone?

Hello Uwe,

I'm using LibreOffice version 6.0.7.3.

"Version..." is the ninth item on the "File" menu.

I've done no menu customizations.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 3:27 AM Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I swear I have seen a  version control of sorts[1], maybe back in the old
> days of openoffice. You could manually set versions which tend increased
> the size of the file quite a bit because new versions were saved on top
> of old ones.
>
> I cannot find this feature anymore. Is it gone?
>
> Regards
>
> Uwe Brauer
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  or sort of version control if you prefer.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Brad Rogers Brad Rogers

Re: version control of sorts: it is gone?

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:25:23 +0200
Uwe Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Uwe,

>I cannot find this feature anymore. Is it gone?

As Alan says, under the File menu.  Still there in v7.

--
 Regards  _
Drums quite good, bass is too loud, and I can't hear the words

Uwe Brauer Uwe Brauer

>>> "AB" == Alan B <[hidden email]> writes:

   > Hello Uwe,
   > I'm using LibreOffice version 6.0.7.3.

   > "Version..." is the ninth item on the "File" menu.

Ah thanks but it is only for odt format, not for docx. Which makes sense

Uwe

Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan

Re: version control of sorts: it is gone?

The thing I've noticed is that even of the checkbox for "always save new
version" is set it doesn't do, as I supposed, save a new version when you
hit "Save", you actually have to go into the versions box and force it.

--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan

    Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis
    Women and cats will do as they please, and
    men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein
    Sorry for the unedited top post. Client forces it.

Joshua Kramer Joshua Kramer

Re: version control of sorts: it is gone?

> Ah thanks but it is only for odt format, not for docx. Which makes sense

Back in the oldey-timey days of Office 97, MS-Office also supported
versions within the .doc files.  They stopped doing this because they
wanted to push the MUCH more expensive Sharepoint which also stores
versions.  But the docx format, as far as I know, has no support for
versions.

Luuk Luuk

On 22-7-2020 23:34, Michael Tiernan wrote:
> The thing I've noticed is that even of the checkbox for "always save new
> version" is set it doesn't do, as I supposed, save a new version when you
> hit "Save", you actually have to go into the versions box and force it.
>
> -- << MCT >> Michael C Tiernan. http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan Non
> Impediti Ratione Cogatationis Women and cats will do as they please, and men
> and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein Sorry
> for the unedited top post. Client forces it.

If you are really sorry for (unedited?) top posting, then do NOT bullshit us
with 'Client forces it', because no one forces you to post!

The checkbox for "always save new version" is an inclomplete quote, it says:
"Always save new version on closing"

This means that a new version is only created when you close the document,
which is another action than save your document.

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)