vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

Frédéric Frédéric

vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

Hi,

My graphs move vertically when I save my sheets to pdf. I spent hours
searching why but cannot find any clue. All properties look fine
(FrameRect, OriginalSize, BoundRect, VisibleArea, Position, Size). I
do not know where to search. No help on internet either.

Am I the only one?

I tried to make an simple example but cannot reproduce exactly what I
have on my big file. One think I noticed is the following, when I
click on the chart, I can see the 8 blue handles and also the coutour
of the chart as dashed line and the dashed contour is not superimposed
with the blue handles but shifted by a few lines up (see attached
image). Normally they match.

I have the impression that the charts are shifted when I duplicate a
worksheet...

Kind regards,

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

Which version and what software are you using.

Draw, Calc, Writer?

On 10/21/2018 1:56 PM, Frédéric wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My graphs move vertically when I save my sheets to pdf. I spent hours
> searching why but cannot find any clue. All properties look fine
> (FrameRect, OriginalSize, BoundRect, VisibleArea, Position, Size). I
> do not know where to search. No help on internet either.
>
> Am I the only one?
>
> I tried to make an simple example but cannot reproduce exactly what I
> have on my big file. One think I noticed is the following, when I
> click on the chart, I can see the 8 blue handles and also the coutour
> of the chart as dashed line and the dashed contour is not superimposed
> with the blue handles but shifted by a few lines up (see attached
> image). Normally they match.
>
> I have the impression that the charts are shifted when I duplicate a
> worksheet...
>
> Kind regards,

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Re: vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

Hi Fred,

Le 21/10/2018 à 19:56, Frédéric a écrit :

> My graphs move vertically when I save my sheets to pdf. I spent hours
> searching why but cannot find any clue. All properties look fine
> (FrameRect, OriginalSize, BoundRect, VisibleArea, Position, Size). I
> do not know where to search. No help on internet either.
>
> Am I the only one?
>
> I tried to make an simple example but cannot reproduce exactly what I
> have on my big file. One think I noticed is the following, when I
> click on the chart, I can see the 8 blue handles and also the coutour
> of the chart as dashed line and the dashed contour is not superimposed
> with the blue handles but shifted by a few lines up (see attached
> image). Normally they match.

(no attachments on that list)

> I have the impression that the charts are shifted when I duplicate a
> worksheet...

Are the charts anchored to page or to cell? I'd suggest always anchoring
them to cell.

Do you save as PDF using the UI or through a macro? Given your first
paragraph, I'd suppose you're using a macro, aren't you?

If so, how do you process the export?

Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Frédéric Frédéric

Re: vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

Which version and what software are you using.

Draw, Calc, Writer?

It's in Calc, version 6.0 on Linux, 5.3 on Windows.

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

Did you try saving as pdf in both linux and windows to see if there is
any difference?

Frédéric Frédéric

Re: vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

> Did you try saving as pdf in both linux and windows to see if there is
> any difference?

It is similar on Windows and Linux but different on OSX. I would like to
say that it is probably not related to PDF because the print preview shows
the same issue.

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: vertical placement of charts while saving to pdf is wrong

This is a shot in the dark.

Look for lines defined as narrower in height and resize them.

It would not be surprising that PDF's produced by OSX have some portion
of the Print PDF definition that recognizes control codes in one way is
not under Windows/Linux PDF Printer definition for LibreOffice.  It may
also be that substituting fonts may change behavior.

I suggest using installing cups-pdf under linux to see if this resolves
the difference.  Apple controls cups-pdf and might be a work around.

I may be wrong here, but I think LibreOffice uses Ghostscript and OSX
uses CUPS.
https://www.ghostscript.com/
https://github.com/apple/cups

If anybody knows, please reply to correct the above statements.

Hope this helps
Paul