what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Next » 12
krackedpress krackedpress

what version of LO would work on a really old system?

I am getting an old HP desktop, that originally WinXP, ready to give away.

It has 64-bit AMD 3300+ CPU, 512MB ram, and only 160GB drive.  It was an
original Windows XP 32-bit OS system on a 64-bit hardware. Since it
needs ALL of the old user's info removed, and XP OS "damaged", It was
better to just make it a Linux system - for security reasons.

I just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 64-bit on it.  Their specs stated
32-bit would be best but the system keeps failing due a SIS630 "module
missing".

So with these specs, what is the newest version of LO you would
install?  With this low RAM, it may not be able to handle the newest
versions. As I type this, the old system is now in the "software
updating" cycle.  So, it is installing the newest LO that is in Ubuntu
16.04's repository.

To be honest, this system is a little old for my needs, but for a free
giveaway system [HP desktop, keyboard, mouse, and a HP "square" 15 inch
monitor], I do not have any parts to upgrade it and do not want to buy
any hardware for it.

So, what is the newest version I can install without and problems?.

zahra a zahra a

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

hello.
linux support i think did not change in libreoffice newer versions.
but libreoffice 5.4 on windows have some issues and bugs on windows xp
as i studied bug reports and other websites.
not sure about 5.4.4 that works on xp or not, but 5.4.3 works properly.
by the way, i have windows xp and did test in 5.4 branch only 5.4.0
and in 5.3 branch, tested till the 5.3.6 and did not download 5.3.7
but i am sure that it be supported well on xp.
even if your xp is 64 bit, you should use 32bit version of libreoffice.
because libreoffice since 5.0, supports both x86 and x64, but x64
version, just work on windows vista and later!
hope that my explanations helps you and God bless all!

On 2/23/18, Tim-L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am getting an old HP desktop, that originally WinXP, ready to give away.
>
> It has 64-bit AMD 3300+ CPU, 512MB ram, and only 160GB drive.  It was an
> original Windows XP 32-bit OS system on a 64-bit hardware. Since it
> needs ALL of the old user's info removed, and XP OS "damaged", It was
> better to just make it a Linux system - for security reasons.
>
> I just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 64-bit on it.  Their specs stated
> 32-bit would be best but the system keeps failing due a SIS630 "module
> missing".
>
> So with these specs, what is the newest version of LO you would
> install?  With this low RAM, it may not be able to handle the newest
> versions. As I type this, the old system is now in the "software
> updating" cycle.  So, it is installing the newest LO that is in Ubuntu
> 16.04's repository.
>
> To be honest, this system is a little old for my needs, but for a free
> giveaway system [HP desktop, keyboard, mouse, and a HP "square" 15 inch
> monitor], I do not have any parts to upgrade it and do not want to buy
> any hardware for it.
>
> So, what is the newest version I can install without and problems?.

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

> I am getting an old HP desktop, that originally WinXP, ready to give away.
>
> It has 64-bit AMD 3300+ CPU, 512MB ram, and only 160GB drive.  It was an
> original Windows XP 32-bit OS system on a 64-bit hardware. Since it needs
> ALL of the old user's info removed, and XP OS "damaged", It was better to
> just make it a Linux system - for security reasons.
>
> I just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 64-bit on it.  Their specs stated
> 32-bit would be best but the system keeps failing due a SIS630 "module
> missing".
>
> So with these specs, what is the newest version of LO you would install?
> With this low RAM, it may not be able to handle the newest versions. As I
> type this, the old system is now in the "software updating" cycle.  So, it
> is installing the newest LO that is in Ubuntu 16.04's repository.
>
> To be honest, this system is a little old for my needs, but for a free
> giveaway system [HP desktop, keyboard, mouse, and a HP "square" 15 inch
> monitor], I do not have any parts to upgrade it and do not want to buy any
> hardware for it.
>
> So, what is the newest version I can install without and problems?.

​Tim, if you've managed to successfully install 64-bit Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on
this system, you should be able to install and run any version of LO - why
not take the latest, 6.0.1 (or 6.0.2 to which LO just updated itself via
the PPA om my Linux box) ? The only thing I'd recommend beyond this would
be installing a bit more RAM. Even if you've made clear that you don't wish
to buy any hardware for it, you should be able to obtain some used DDR-2
sticks, which the motherboard is almost certain to support, for next to
nothing, which would make a great deal of difference in how you experience
the computer (the system requirements for 64-bit LO 6.0.1 are listed as 256
MB RAM, with 512 MB recommended)....

Henri

TomD TomD

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Hi :)
Would Gnome Office (ie Abiword and Gnumeric) be better?

Also last time i tried distro-hopping on 'old' machines i found that
Kubuntu was much faster and lighter-weight than even Lubuntu and Xubuntu.
There was a ton of stuff to figure out and apps etc to add o really get the
most out of it but the default set-up looks really swish and is very
usable.  Perhaps best to let the new owner enjoy their own voyage of
discovery.  Kubuntu uses a different office suite and i found that so light
and fast that i didn't bother to try out LibreOffice on it.
KOffice/Calligra uses the same file-formats as LibreOffice.

Regards from
a Tom :)

On 02/23/2018 09:43 AM, M Henri Day wrote:

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>

>     I am getting an old HP desktop, that originally WinXP, ready to
>     give away.
>
>     It has 64-bit AMD 3300+ CPU, 512MB ram, and only 160GB drive.  It
>     was an original Windows XP 32-bit OS system on a 64-bit hardware.
>     Since it needs ALL of the old user's info removed, and XP OS
>     "damaged", It was better to just make it a Linux system - for
>     security reasons.
>
>     I just installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 64-bit on it.  Their specs
>     stated 32-bit would be best but the system keeps failing due a
>     SIS630 "module missing".
>
>     So with these specs, what is the newest version of LO you would
>     install?  With this low RAM, it may not be able to handle the
>     newest versions. As I type this, the old system is now in the
>     "software updating" cycle.  So, it is installing the newest LO
>     that is in Ubuntu 16.04's repository.
>
>     To be honest, this system is a little old for my needs, but for a
>     free giveaway system [HP desktop, keyboard, mouse, and a HP
>     "square" 15 inch monitor], I do not have any parts to upgrade it
>     and do not want to buy any hardware for it.
>
>     So, what is the newest version I can install without and problems?.
>

> ​Tim, if you've managed to successfully install 64-bit Ubuntu MATE
> 16.04 on this system, you should be able to install and run any
> version of LO - why not take the latest, 6.0.1 (or 6.0.2 to which LO
> just updated itself via the PPA om my Linux box) ? The only thing I'd
> recommend beyond this would be installing a bit more RAM. Even if
> you've made clear that you don't wish to buy any hardware for it, you
> should be able to obtain some used DDR-2 sticks, which the motherboard
> is almost certain to support, for next to nothing, which would make a
> great deal of difference in how you experience the computer (the
> system requirements for 64-bit LO 6.0.1 are listed as 256 MB RAM, with
> 512 MB recommended)....
>
> Henri

Hey Henri. . . . .

First - I would have to buy more ram.  I may find some in a box
somewhere.  I do not want to put money into this free giveaway desktop.
Since HP no longer have spec info for this old XP desktop, I do not know
if the two 256MB memory sticks is the largest or could it take two 512MB
instead.

Second - Ubuntu MATE stated the x86 version would take the least amount
of ram, but since it gave me fatal errors, I tried x64 version.  I run
this on laptops, like the one I am typing from.

Tom Davis
thought this desktop could use Kubuntu.  I have not tried KDE for a long
time.  I read a lot of articles that stated that MATE was the better
option to take an old XP desktop and add Linux distro that would be the
"easiest" to move to for those who used XP. I likes the "gnome" version
used originally for Ubuntu version 9 thru 12. After that I changed to
the MATE desktop environment. Since I use Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS, and
will go to 18.04LTS this year, if the person who gets the old system
needs help, I can help them.

zahra a
mentioned using XP on the system.  I do have XP and a Win7 upgrade
DVDs.  For XP, I do not want to reinstall XP since there are no security
updates anymore.  I really want the system not to have to use half the
processor usage for security software.  As for Win7, well there are
still some security updated for a newly installed Win7 systems.  Also,
the processor issue is the same with Win7. This security issue is one of
the biggest reasons for running Linux.  I knew that Ubuntu 12 could run
well, but I was hoping to get 16.04LTS to install.

Third - The Ubuntu MATE install updated the 64-bit LO 5.1.6.2 from the
repository. I have one system running 5.4.4 and this one is running
6.0.0.3, but will go to 6.0.1.x soon.  I was thinking about running
5.4.5.x on the 512MB system.  I wanted the more "conservative user"
version of LO over the "technology enthusiast, early adopter or power
user" version for this system.

To be honest, this old system will be used for a few things - browser,
email, document creation, music and media player. I may add a few
"education" packages to that system, since it may go to a kid as well as
an adult.  As I stated, it will be free.  If you need a new/newer
system, you can get a Win10 laptop for under $250.

TomD TomD

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Hi :)
Again, good points.  It is much easier to support people using a system
that you use yourself.  I gave up on using Kubuntu when i no longer had to
support anyone using it.  It is interesting and has tons of nice features
but i just prefer stock Ubuntu for my main use.  If i had to support low
spec machines again i would prolly give Kubuntu a go.
Regards from
a Tom :)

On 23 February 2018 at 17:26, Tim-L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> issue is the same with Win7. This security issue is one of the biggest
> reasons for running Linux.  I knew that Ubuntu 12 could run well, but I was
> hoping to get 16.04LTS to install.
>
> Third - The Ubuntu MATE install updated the 64-bit LO 5.1.6.2 from the
> repository. I have one system running 5.4.4 and this one is running
> 6.0.0.3, but will go to 6.0.1.x soon.  I was thinking about running 5.4.5.x
> on the 512MB system.  I wanted the more "conservative user" version of LO
> over the "technology enthusiast, early adopter or power user" version for
> this system.
>
> To be honest, this old system will be used for a few things - browser,
> email, document creation, music and media player. I may add a few
> "education" packages to that system, since it may go to a kid as well as an
> adult.  As I stated, it will be free.  If you need a new/newer system, you

David Burleigh-2 David Burleigh-2

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

It's interesting to hear of Kubuntu working well on an old machine.
When I last tried using it a few years ago, Nepumuk and Aconadi bogged
it down so much that it became unusable.

TomD TomD

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Hi :)
Yeh, the KDE people put a serious amount of work into it a lot lighter and
faster. Initially i only tried it out for a laugh but i was quite
flabergasted at how phenomenally slick it had become.
Regards from
a Tom :)

TomD TomD

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Hi :)
Sorry, my keyboard is still suffering from when i crunched it's usb-plug.
It's still a beautiful keyboard but sometimes gets it's signals a bit
muddled.
Apols from
a Tom :)

On 23 February 2018 at 20:40, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> Yeh, the KDE people put a serious amount of work into it a lot lighter and
> faster. Initially i only tried it out for a laugh but i was quite
> flabergasted at how phenomenally slick it had become.
> Regards from
> a Tom :)
>

> On 23 February 2018 at 18:11, David Burleigh <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> It's interesting to hear of Kubuntu working well on an old machine.
>> When I last tried using it a few years ago, Nepumuk and Aconadi bogged
>> it down so much that it became unusable.
>> On Fri, 2018-02-23 at 16:42 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:
>> > Hi :)
>> > Would Gnome Office (ie Abiword and Gnumeric) be better?
>> >
>> > Also last time i tried distro-hopping on 'old' machines i found that
>> > Kubuntu was much faster and lighter-weight than even Lubuntu and
>> > Xubuntu.
>> > There was a ton of stuff to figure out and apps etc to add o really
>> > get the
>> > most out of it but the default set-up looks really swish and is very
>> > usable.  Perhaps best to let the new owner enjoy their own voyage of
>> > discovery.  Kubuntu uses a different office suite and i found that
>> > so light
>> > and fast that i didn't bother to try out LibreOffice on it.
>> > KOffice/Calligra uses the same file-formats as LibreOffice.
>> >
>> > Regards from
>> > a Tom :)

>> deleted

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Hey Guys.  I found two 512MB memory sticks.  It now gives me about 800MB
after the shared video memory.

Did you know that the Ubuntu repositories do not install LO Math with
LO?  Found that out about an hour ago.

On 02/23/2018 03:40 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Yeh, the KDE people put a serious amount of work into it a lot lighter and
> faster. Initially i only tried it out for a laugh but i was quite
> flabergasted at how phenomenally slick it had become.
> Regards from
> a Tom :)
>

> On 23 February 2018 at 18:11, David Burleigh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's interesting to hear of Kubuntu working well on an old machine.
>> When I last tried using it a few years ago, Nepumuk and Aconadi bogged
>> it down so much that it became unusable.
>> On Fri, 2018-02-23 at 16:42 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:
>>> Hi :)
>>> Would Gnome Office (ie Abiword and Gnumeric) be better?
>>>
>>> Also last time i tried distro-hopping on 'old' machines i found that
>>> Kubuntu was much faster and lighter-weight than even Lubuntu and
>>> Xubuntu.
>>> There was a ton of stuff to figure out and apps etc to add o really
>>> get the
>>> most out of it but the default set-up looks really swish and is very
>>> usable.  Perhaps best to let the new owner enjoy their own voyage of
>>> discovery.  Kubuntu uses a different office suite and i found that
>>> so light
>>> and fast that i didn't bother to try out LibreOffice on it.
>>> KOffice/Calligra uses the same file-formats as LibreOffice.
>>>
>>> Regards from
>>> a Tom :)

>> deleted

zahra a zahra a

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

i wished that LO has one version for home users to not install
engineering programs like math, draw, base.
i only need writer and have to have one office suite which most
features are for engineers, businesses, companies etc.
since i am not programmer and cant use linux, i should use xp.

Toki Toki

On 02/23/2018 09:27 PM, Tim-L wrote:

> Did you know that the Ubuntu repositories do not install LO Math with LO?

The last time I installed LibO from the Ubuntu repository, it also left
out Base, the Help files, and something else (printing, perhaps.)

jonathon

Toki Toki

On 02/24/2018 08:35 AM, zahra a wrote:

>to not install engineering programs like math, draw, base.

Sounds like you want OOoLight, which is no longer maintained.

jonathon

robert leleu robert leleu

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Since you use Ubuntu the unwanted parts can be uninstalled, or, better,
unselected when preparing LO installation

Je la 24/02/2018 09:35, zahra a skribis :

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

> Hey Guys.  I found two 512MB memory sticks.  It now gives me about 800MB
> after the shared video memory.
>
> Did you know that the Ubuntu repositories do not install LO Math with LO?
> Found that out about an hour ago.

​Good on ya, Tim​ ; how does LO now work on that machine (and which version
have you installed) ?

Surprised to hear that the Ubuntu respositories don't provide a complete LO
package - I install via the PPA on my Linux Mint machine, which is an
Ubuntu fork, and get everything, including Math and Base. What gives ?...

Henri

Italo Vignoli-6 Italo Vignoli-6

On 24/02/2018 09:35, zahra a wrote:

> since i am not programmer and cant use linux, i should use xp.

Everyone can use Linux, not only developers. I have a degree in
humanities and have never written a single line of code, but I am a very
happy Linux user and will never switch back to macOS or Windows. Windows
XP has been deprecated by Microsoft in 2014, so the operating system is
not maintained and is not secure. You should definitely try something
different.

mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email [hidden email]
hangout/jabber [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

> On 24/02/2018 09:35, zahra a wrote:
>
> > since i am not programmer and cant use linux, i should use xp.
>
> Everyone can use Linux, not only developers. I have a degree in
> humanities and have never written a single line of code, but I am a very
> happy Linux user and will never switch back to macOS or Windows. Windows
> XP has been deprecated by Microsoft in 2014, so the operating system is
> not maintained and is not secure. You should definitely try something
> different.
>
> --
> Italo Vignoli - LibreOffice Marketing & PR
> mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email [hidden email]
> hangout/jabber [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
> GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
> DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0

​Indeed. While there are Linux distributions which definitely are not for
beginners, anyone who has used a Windows OS will find a distribution like
Linux Mint 18.3 intuitive and user-friendly, and in my experience, far more
reliable than, e g, Windows 10....

Henri​

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Hi Henri,

> Surprised to hear that the Ubuntu respositories don't provide a complete LO
> package - I install via the PPA on my Linux Mint machine, which is an
> Ubuntu fork, and get everything, including Math and Base. What gives ?...

Every Linux-distribution does allow to install only parts of LO. There
are different packages for Writer, Clac, Base ... If you choose only the
Writer-packages only the packages of LO will be installed, which are
necessary for Writer. By default in most systems the whole LO-packages
will be installed.

But: It doesn't make any difference for an old system. Writer will run
the same speed - if Base, Calc, Draw and whatever will be installed or
not. So if you haven't enough free disk space it will be a good idea to
choose only the parts of LO you need.

Regards

Robert

mhenriday mhenriday

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

> Hi Henri,
> >
> > Surprised to hear that the Ubuntu respositories don't provide a complete
> LO
> > package - I install via the PPA on my Linux Mint machine, which is an
> > Ubuntu fork, and get everything, including Math and Base. What gives ?...
>
> Every Linux-distribution does allow to install only parts of LO. There
> are different packages for Writer, Clac, Base ... If you choose only the
> Writer-packages only the packages of LO will be installed, which are
> necessary for Writer. By default in most systems the whole LO-packages
> will be installed.
>
> But: It doesn't make any difference for an old system. Writer will run
> the same speed - if Base, Calc, Draw and whatever will be installed or
> not. So if you haven't enough free disk space it will be a good idea to
> choose only the parts of LO you need.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert
> --
> Homepage: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de
> LibreOffice Community: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/map_3

​Thanks, Robert, for your reply ! I'm aware that one can choose not to
install certain LO packages. What surprised me in Tim's post was rather
that - as I interpreted him - the packages for Math and Base were not
automatically downloaded and installed, without any intervention on his
part. But perhaps I misunderstood....

Henri

TomD TomD

Re: what version of LO would work on a really old system?

Sorry, i don't know what PYOO is so i have redirected this question back to
the LO mailing list - even though it is really a question for Calligra
forums/mailing-lists.

I've only used their spreadsheets for very straight-forwards sums, to add
columns of figures.

Is PYOO something that can be tested by some fairly trivial example?
Apols and regards from
a Tom :)

Next » 12