where is that configuration file again?

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

where is that configuration file again?

Greetings,
I am having problems with importing a powerpoint file, causing LO to
hang and crash, and wanted to try renaming the configuration file.
However, I can no longer find it.  Previous versions had it in my home
directory, but it is no longer there.  Can someone point me to that help
on finding the configuration file for LO 3.5.4?
Thanks.
Girvin Herr

Mirosław Zalewski Mirosław Zalewski

Re: where is that configuration file again?

On 22/12/2012 at 22:36, "Girvin R. Herr" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone point me to that help
> on finding the configuration file for LO 3.5.4?

It's ~/.config/libreoffice/ (if you are using Linux, which probably you do - but
you could mention it in your message).
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

> On 22/12/2012 at 22:36, "Girvin R. Herr" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Can someone point me to that help
>> on finding the configuration file for LO 3.5.4?
>>

> It's ~/.config/libreoffice/ (if you are using Linux, which probably you do - but
> you could mention it in your message).

Oops!  You are correct in both - sorry.  I am running Linux.
I found the directory and renamed it, but it didn't solve my problem.
Apparently, I downloaded a pair of PowerPoint files that LO can't handle
- they cause LO to pop up the "ASCII Filter Options" dialog and when I
click on OK, LO goes out to lunch.  Kpresenter can't handle them either.
Thanks.
Girvin

Tom Tom

Re: where is that configuration file again?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile

or look in
Tools - Options - Paths
to see if you moved it somewhere unusual.

>________________________________

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Re: where is that configuration file again?

Tom,
Thanks.  That was what I was looking for.
Renaming the profile didn't help though.  I think I found a couple of
Powerpoint files that LO can't handle.  It is either a first for me, or
the files are corrupt.  I contacted the source to see if something can
be done.
Thanks.
Girvin

On 22/12/2012 at 23:07, "Girvin R. Herr" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apparently, I downloaded a pair of PowerPoint files that LO can't handle
> - they cause LO to pop up the "ASCII Filter Options" dialog and when I
> click on OK, LO goes out to lunch.

I have encountered similar problem with one certain PowerPoint file. It opened
fine on LibreOffice 3.6.4. You may consider upgrade as possible way of solving
this issue.

(Sorry for sending this off-list a minute before. It was not intended.)
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: where is that configuration file again?

       Yours may or may not be the problem I had with some of these -
            mine was solved by going to 'properties' & allowing streaming
;-)

       Maybe another answer is pay Msft their exorbitant fee to have the
latest Office, but  ;-)

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Le 22/12/2012 23:07, Girvin R. Herr a écrit :

> Apparently, I downloaded a pair of PowerPoint files that LO can't handle
> - they cause LO to pop up the "ASCII Filter Options" dialog and when I
> click on OK, LO goes out to lunch.  Kpresenter can't handle them either.

If there's no private information, you may want to attach such a file to
some bug report. That could help the developers.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

Tom Tom

Re: where is that configuration file again?

There are on-line places that can test the integrity of certain file-types but i don't know where to find one for Ppt.

Lets hope the authors can send you the presentation in Odp!  I find it enormously difficult trying to get people to understand where they can find
File - "Save As .. "
It seems to be so difficult for MS users to find something that 'technical' that i even took some screen-shots to try to help.  Even then its impossible for many people to figure it out.

Hmmm, that makes me wonder if they sent a PptX, the newer MS format.  They sometimes have less trouble finding "Save As ... " when it's to save as an older MS file-type.  The older Ppt format should be much easier for more people to open, even other MSO users.

>________________________________

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: where is that configuration file again?

       This was only sent to me  ;-)
            am posting your reply to list  ;-)

NoOp NoOp

<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=libreoffice+profile+locations>
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile>

Girvin Herr-2 Girvin Herr-2

Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

> On 22/12/2012 at 23:07, "Girvin R. Herr" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Apparently, I downloaded a pair of PowerPoint files that LO can't handle
>> - they cause LO to pop up the "ASCII Filter Options" dialog and when I
>> click on OK, LO goes out to lunch.
>>

> I have encountered similar problem with one certain PowerPoint file. It opened
> fine on LibreOffice 3.6.4. You may consider upgrade as possible way of solving
> this issue.

That worked!  I updated to LO 3.6.4.3 and loaded both powerpoint files
without any problems.
Thanks to Miroslaw and all who offered me help on this problem.
Girvin Herr