writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

Matthew Monaco Matthew Monaco

writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

I'm trying to print out some business cards in writer. The document consists of
a 5x2 table taking up the entire page.

I'd like the first cell to be the master cell and the remaining 9 to just be
duplicates. I've tried to set the other cells as a formula =<A1>, but that just
leaves me with 0.

Is there some way to do this? If it involves fields, will it include the formatting?

As a secondary issue, the 5 cell rows are 2 inches high. The document is US
Letter (11 inches long). And the top and bottom margins are set to .5 inches
each. Therefore, everything should fit exactly. However, there is a blank second
page which I cannot get rid of. Any suggestions?

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

At 16:17 19/11/2011 -0500, Matthew Monaco wrote:
>I'm trying to print out some business cards in writer. The document
>consists of a 5x2 table taking up the entire page.  I'd like the
>first cell to be the master cell and the remaining 9 to just be
>duplicates. I've tried to set the other cells as a formula =<A1>,
>but that just leaves me with 0.

That's because that facility works with numbers, not text.

>Is there some way to do this?

Here's one idea:
o Select the required text in the first cell.
o Go to Insert | Cross-reference...| Cross-references.
o Under Type, select Set Reference.
o For Name, enter a name for your paragraph of text.
o Click Insert.  (Leave the Fields panel open.)
o Click in each other cell in turn.
o Under Type, select Insert Reference; under Selection, select your
name; and under "Insert reference to", select Reference.
o Click Insert.

You will notice that only a single paragraph of text can be
referenced in this way.  And if you modify the source text, you will
need to use Tools | Update > | Fields (or F9) to update the copies.

>If it involves fields, will it include the formatting?

Sadly, it appears not.  So it might be easier simply to copy and
paste the text ...

>As a secondary issue, the 5 cell rows are 2 inches high. The
>document is US Letter (11 inches long). And the top and bottom
>margins are set to .5 inches each. Therefore, everything should fit
>exactly. However, there is a blank second page which I cannot get
>rid of. Any suggestions?

There is always an empty paragraph after a table, and this appears to
occupy a vertical space appropriate to its font size.  You can get
around this problem in many ways:
o Simplest, just print the pages you need, not the extra one.
o Reduce the bottom margin to accommodate the empty
paragraph.  Nothing will print there, of course.,
o You can reduce the font size of the empty paragraph to make all this easier.
It is easier to see what you are doing here if you toggle on the
display of non-printing characters.

But here's a much better idea:
o Go to File | New > | Labels.
o On the Format tab, set up your required card sizes.
o On the Options tab, select "Entire page" and "Synchronize contents".
o Click New Document.
o Enter and format your text once and click Synchronize Labels.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Jerry Jerry

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

I'm confused on what you are describing.  How can you do business
cards if the content takes up an entire 8 1/2 x 11 page? Or by page
do you mean the entire business card? If this is what you mean it is
very simple to do.

If you use the File > New > Business Cards commands, it brings up a
screen where you select the Brand of business cards you are using and
then select the specific style.  When you select 'New Document' it
brings up a new screen with the outline of the cards on the
page.  Only the first (upper left) can be written in.  There is a
"Synchronize Label"  button in the upper right corner. Generate the
table in the first card. Once you have it finished to your
satisfaction including font, color, margins, etc. click on the
synchronize button. This copies the first card onto the other 9 on
the sheet.  If you are not happy with the results, edit the first
card, hit synchronize again to complete the page.

Jerry

At 02:17 PM 11/19/2011, you wrote:

>I'm trying to print out some business cards in writer. The document
>consists of a 5x2 table taking up the entire page.
>
>I'd like the first cell to be the master cell and the remaining 9 to
>just be duplicates. I've tried to set the other cells as a formula
>=<A1>, but that just leaves me with 0.
>
>Is there some way to do this? If it involves fields, will it include
>the formatting?
>

>As a secondary issue, the 5 cell rows are 2 inches high. The
>document is US Letter (11 inches long). And the top and bottom
>margins are set to .5 inches each. Therefore, everything should fit
>exactly. However, there is a blank second page which I cannot get
>rid of. Any suggestions?

Jerry Jerry

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

Mathew,

That blank second page is inserted by LibreWriter for some unknown reason.

After you have generated the business card, press Ctrl P to bring up
the print menu.  Select the LibreOffice Writer tab and unselect
"Print automatically inserted blank pages".

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 18:24 19/11/2011 -0700, Jerry Noname wrote:
>That blank second page is inserted by LibreWriter for some unknown
>reason.  After you have generated the business card, press Ctrl P to
>bring up the print menu.  Select the LibreOffice Writer tab and
>unselect "Print automatically inserted blank pages".

Sorry, but that's not going to help in this case.  The "automatically
inserted blank pages" referred to are those created when pages have
been numbered and in order to ensure that odd-numbered pages are
always rectos and even-numbered pages always versos.  This blank page
is different, being the result of an additional, empty paragraph
after the end of a table which completely fills the first page.  The
document is merely ever so slightly longer than a single page.

But you can, of course, just as easily choose, in the print dialogue,
to print only page 1.

Brian Barker

Tractor Tractor

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

Hi Everyone,

I think the gentleman who made the initial post is using a table style
template and not the ones which come with LibreOffice/OpenOffice.
Therefore advice using the menus in LibreOffice do not help.

I always use the table style templates. I think OpenOffice had them
available as an extension at one point, and they are available from
http://www.worldlabel.com/ . I want each card to be the same, so I
simply copy and past the information to the label next to it. Then I
copy both cards on the first line to the second through 5th lines. It
you want multiple pages, just copy the entire first page to the second page.

There is an easy way to prevent the blank pages. I will need access to
my work computer to be able to find that and post that here. I will not
be back to the office until Monday, and I will look it up then. I hope I
can find it.

Don

--

*
***

On 11/19/2011 10:22 PM, Don Myers wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I think the gentleman who made the initial post is using a table style template
> and not the ones which come with LibreOffice/OpenOffice. Therefore advice using
> the menus in LibreOffice do not help.
>
> I always use the table style templates. I think OpenOffice had them available as
> an extension at one point, and they are available from
> http://www.worldlabel.com/ . I want each card to be the same, so I simply copy
> and past the information to the label next to it. Then I copy both cards on the
> first line to the second through 5th lines. It you want multiple pages, just
> copy the entire first page to the second page.
>
> There is an easy way to prevent the blank pages. I will need access to my work
> computer to be able to find that and post that here. I will not be back to the
> office until Monday, and I will look it up then. I hope I can find it.
>
> Don
>
> On 11/19/2011 08:24 PM, Libre User wrote:
>> Mathew,
>>
>> That blank second page is inserted by LibreWriter for some unknown reason.
>>
>> After you have generated the business card, press Ctrl P to bring up the print
>> menu. Select the LibreOffice Writer tab and unselect "Print automatically
>> inserted blank pages".
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> At 02:17 PM 11/19/2011, you wrote:
>>> I'm trying to print out some business cards in writer. The document consists
>>> of a 5x2 table taking up the entire page.
>>>
>>> I'd like the first cell to be the master cell and the remaining 9 to just be
>>> duplicates. I've tried to set the other cells as a formula =<A1>, but that
>>> just leaves me with 0.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to do this? If it involves fields, will it include the
>>> formatting?
>>>

>>> As a secondary issue, the 5 cell rows are 2 inches high. The document is US
>>> Letter (11 inches long). And the top and bottom margins are set to .5 inches
>>> each. Therefore, everything should fit exactly. However, there is a blank
>>> second page which I cannot get rid of. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> --
>>> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Thank you to all of the replies. I am indeed not using the label/business card
templates because I don't like the way they look nor the control I feel I have
over them. If I could figure out how to create my own template that might work.
For now it seems the best solution is really to just copy and paste.

I've gotten rid of the extra page by change the font size outside of the table
to the smallest possible value and then decreasing the bottom margin
ever-so-slightly.

The reason I'm concerned about some of these particulars is because I'm setting
this stuff up for an older even-less-informed user than myself and I want him to
be able to print and make small modifications without too much knowledge.

Thanks!
Matt

Jerry Jerry

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

I don't believe that is always the case.  I just used the label
format to create a set of 422 labels for specimens in a museum using
a spreadsheet which contained all of the label data and LibreOffice
Base.  There were 39 pages of labels and the program inserted a blank
page between each page of labels.  There were no page numbers.

Since the museum required a special size label - one that did not
match any of the templates, I used the closest size template and then
changed the label dimensions and margins to suit our needs. Saved it
as a custom template. We did not use actual labels, but printed white
on black (margins included) on heavy stock and then cut the sheets
apart to the proper size.

Jerry

Jerry Jerry

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

Matt

I see that if you do File>New>Business Card you are forced to use
preformatted cards with layouts and fields already selected.

But if you use File>New> Label, and then select as your label, one of
the Business Card templates (e.g. Avery Letter Size; Avery 5371) you
will get a blank template of the proper size with no preselected
fields or formatting.  You can then design that space any way you
like. And then generate the sheet of cards with the synchronize button.

Don't you have to conform to the business card templates in terms of
size and margins in order to get them to print properly? This just
seems like the easiest way to do it.

Jerry

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 22:16 19/11/2011 -0700, Jerry Noname wrote:

>At 07:59 PM 11/19/2011, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 18:24 19/11/2011 -0700, Jerry Noname wrote:
>>>That blank second page is inserted by LibreWriter for some unknown
>>>reason.  After you have generated the business card, press Ctrl P
>>>to bring up the print menu.  Select the LibreOffice Writer tab and
>>>unselect "Print automatically inserted blank pages".
>>
>>Sorry, but that's not going to help in this case.  The
>>"automatically inserted blank pages" referred to are those created
>>when pages have been numbered and in order to ensure that
>>odd-numbered pages are always rectos and even-numbered pages always
>>versos.  This blank page is different, being the result of an
>>additional, empty paragraph after the end of a table which
>>completely fills the first page.  The document is merely ever so
>>slightly longer than a single page.
>>
>>But you can, of course, just as easily choose, in the print
>>dialogue, to print only page 1.
>
>I don't believe that is always the case.  I just used the label
>format to create a set of 422 labels for specimens in a museum using
>a spreadsheet which contained all of the label data and LibreOffice
>Base.  There were 39 pages of labels and the program inserted a
>blank page between each page of labels.  There were no page numbers.

Sorry, but you have misunderstood what I said.  You have constructed
a document which contains many blank pages that you did not want.  Of
course you can do this, and I didn't suggest otherwise.  But those
are not the blank pages referred to in the "Print automatically
inserted blank pages" option - and deselecting that option will not
help you by suppressing those pages.  The special blank pages
referred to are not shown in the normal editing view, so you may not
even be aware they are there.  But they do appear in Page Preview,
with a large grey legend "blank page" (which doesn't print, of
course).  Your genuine blank pages will show in editing view and also
in Page Preview, but without the legend.

>Since the museum required a special size label - one that did not
>match any of the templates, I used the closest size template and
>then changed the label dimensions and margins to suit our needs.
>Saved it as a custom template. We did not use actual labels, but
>printed white on black (margins included) on heavy stock and then
>cut the sheets apart to the proper size.

It sounds as if you have (sensibly) used tables, as did the original
questioner, and left empty paragraphs between each full-page
table.  In fact, although you cannot remove the trailing empty
paragraph after the final table (and therefore need to suppress it in
one of the ways I described), you can, in fact, remove the unwanted
paragraphs between the tables.  So there was no need to retain all
those intervening blank pages in your document.

Brian Barker

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

I use to make a lot of specialty business cards and odd size labels for
people.  I found that many of the .doc templates did not work well with
LO, or even Word 2003.  I had to adjust the margins to fit the printer's
needs since some of these templates used smaller top margins than the
inkjet printer could use properly.

I do like the make one label and then press a button and all the labels
are made the same.  That works well most times.  As for needing each
label to be different for the sheet[s] of labels, I think everyone has
their own stories to tell about what works, and do not work, with their
printer and their needs.

If you must work out a procedure for an "older user" you will need to do
the step-by-step instructions based upon that user's printer and his
actual work.  If you make it work on an Epson Artisan 810 printer, which
does borderless printing for letter size paper, it may not printout
properly with a HP PSC-1410 printer or a HP Color Laserjet 2600n.  I
know this, since these are the three working printer I currently have
and I must use different margin sizes for each printer, it seems to my
experience.  So if you do this for someone else, you need to use the
margins, etc., what his printer needs to use.

On 11/20/2011 12:50 AM, Libre User wrote:

> Matt
>
> I see that if you do File>New>Business Card you are forced to use preformatted
> cards with layouts and fields already selected.
>
> But if you use File>New> Label, and then select as your label, one of the
> Business Card templates (e.g. Avery Letter Size; Avery 5371) you will get a
> blank template of the proper size with no preselected fields or formatting. You
> can then design that space any way you like. And then generate the sheet of
> cards with the synchronize button.

This still has some quirks I need to work out, but it is the best solution so
far. Thanks! I can now also see how the mirrored frames are actually set up and
can how to tweak it myself.

> Don't you have to conform to the business card templates in terms of size and
> margins in order to get them to print properly? This just seems like the easiest
> way to do it.

The table I had set up was easy because the margins were nice numbers within any
printer's margins. Its 10 3.5x2 cards on a 8.5x11 paper. So I set the margins to
be .5 top and bottom and .75 left and right (-.1 on the bottom for that extra
paragraph). The table then fit perfectly with 2x3.5 cells.

Jack Jack

Matthew Monaco wrote:
> As a secondary issue, the 5 cell rows are 2 inches high. The document is US
> Letter (11 inches long). And the top and bottom margins are set to .5 inches
> each. Therefore, everything should fit exactly. However, there is a blank
> second page which I cannot get rid of. Any suggestions?

You can remove the "extra line" after the table:  Place the caret (the
blinking vertical thing) at the end of the text in the last cell of
the table.  Then press Ctrl + Shift + Delete.  If you want to add the
extra line again, press Alt + Enter.

Regards
Stephan

Tractor Tractor

Re: writer: business cards w/ tables - duplicate cells

On Saturday I promised I would get back to you relative to the labels. I
had two issues, with one being the blank page between sheets, and the
second being that if I was pulling the label information from a data
base (Base), between sheets, one record would be missing. Here is what I
wrote to another [post about 6 months ago:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this might help anyone or not. I had an OpenOffice
> form problem using the table template with a standard 30 label sheet
> (3 x 10). I have all of our Christmas card addresses in an OpenOffice
> database. I have the form setup, etc, to automatically pull the
> address information in when I click print and select the database,
> etc. It works great with one exception. Last year my wife said I
> missed having a few addresses included. I didn't think anything about
> it, and honestly, didn't think that was possible. This year before
> giving her the printed labels I thought I would check that everyone
> was there. I set the printing so it is sorting to print A_Z based on
> the last name. It takes three sheets. I have 78 names in the database,
> but only had 76 printed labels. What happened was when the printing
> went from the first sheet to the second sheet, it misses one record.
> The rest of the second page is fine. When I went from the second sheet
> to the third sheet, once again, it skipped the next label, then
> printed fine for the balance. When I say it skipped it, the missing
> record just disappears. It isn't that I end up with a blank label at
> the top of the sheet. The next one in line to be printed on the first
> label on Page 2 vanishes and the one that should be the second one on
> the second page becomes the first one on the second page. The same
> with the third page. A person would never pick this up unless checking
> the database against the printed labels.
>
> The solution!!!!!!!! I had one full page of labels with the fields in.
> I read on-line that you need one complete page with fields in for each
> page of labels. So I added two more pages so I have a three page
> template. When I created Pages 2 and 3 and by pasting the complete
> page 1, then scrolled up, I found there was a blank page between each
> label page. I deleted those pages, and I now have a perfectly working
> label template printing all of the address!!!!!!!!!
>
> Don
Don

--

*