x86_64 Windows build

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
12 « Prev
Steven Shelton Steven Shelton
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
 
On 11/4/2010 6:32 PM, Ian wrote:
> The legal profession is hardly a good precedent for technology
> innovation :-)

Touché!

- --
Steven Shelton
Deputy Undersecretary for Made-up Titles
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
 
iEYEARECAAYFAkzT7uoACgkQO+AD2HqgRoAicgCeKMamzYvC134eeO+9MANWYEG5
tk8AoIMWLZnx6MXDnpDaF2Zcd35Usgvl
=IcjP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Olivier Hallot Olivier Hallot
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

In reply to this post by nabbler
Em 04-11-2010 17:31, e-letter escreveu:
> In terms of priorities, making LO the default for mobile (e.g.
> android) is more important than windoze.
>

Wrong as of today. Windows counts of more than 95% of LO/OOo use. See
download stats in OOo portal. Maybe in some future for mobiles.

Much has been written in this thread, I make my point:

Focus on what managers need(*). They need good spreadsheets and good
presentations (Text document's are clerk's job).

On mobiles: care to start make a ODP (presentation) and spreadsheet
(ODS) viewers. Just in case you realy don't want to carry your
laptop/netbook, because HDMI output is becoming standard on mobiles.

(*) managers, sign checks and shout loud when things go wrong.
--
Olivier Hallot
Comitê Executivo
The Document Foundation

--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

mgagnonlv mgagnonlv
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

In reply to this post by Ian-2
Le 2010-11-05 05:10, Ian a écrit :

> On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 07:52 +0000, e-letter wrote:
>> LO is never going to overcome m$ products on their own platform(s).
> Agreed, by the time there is any chance of this the world will have
> moved to a different platform. In one way it already has since ARM based
> mobile computer devices massively outnumber x86 now.
>
>> The biggest market potential by far is mobile devices for ODF to
>> become the default format.
> Yup.
>

I don't agree totally with that statement. While Microsoft Works is
likely to continue to be omnipresent, it is possible for LibreOffice to
be a relatively important player on the Windows platform. For instance,
Internet Explorer used to be the only browser on Windows computers; look
at Firefox which is now a very important player, and Chrome which is
making important inroads.

As for becoming useful on the phone, I think the cell-phone platform
limits a lot the editing functions available. One possibility would be
to have a no-frills word processor that would remember all image and
style information, yet allow the cell-phone user to write the text as
is. This means that a lot of thought and work has to be done before
porting it on the phone, and that a good compatible software needs to
exist on "real" computers. One of the strengths of LibreOffice is
document compatibility and UI compatibility between platforms. Within
limits, the same has to be extended to the newer platforms, otherwise
people might as well compose in their e-mail software.

--
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net

--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

On 2010-11-05 10:59 AM, Michel Gagnon wrote:
> As for becoming useful on the phone, I think the cell-phone platform
> limits a lot the editing functions available. One possibility would be
> to have a no-frills word processor that would remember all image and
> style information, yet allow the cell-phone user to write the text as is.

This imo has the best chance of ever making it...

1. Create a simple viewer

2. Allow basic *content* editing, that perfectly preserves all else.

Still a huge job, but not so much as simply converting LibO to run on
mobile devices.

--

Best regards,

Charles

--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Simos Xenitellis Simos Xenitellis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Charles Marcus <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 2010-11-05 10:59 AM, Michel Gagnon wrote:
> > As for becoming useful on the phone, I think the cell-phone platform
> > limits a lot the editing functions available. One possibility would be
> > to have a no-frills word processor that would remember all image and
> > style information, yet allow the cell-phone user to write the text as is.
>
> This imo has the best chance of ever making it...
>
> 1. Create a simple viewer
>
> 2. Allow basic *content* editing, that perfectly preserves all else.
>
> Still a huge job, but not so much as simply converting LibO to run on
> mobile devices.
>
>
Per mailing list etiquette, it's better to start a new thread to discuss
mobile LibO.
This thread is about what needs to be done to get native Win64 LibO,
and how to find developers to join the effort.

Simos

--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Peter Rodwell Peter Rodwell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

Quoting Simos Xenitellis:

> Per mailing list etiquette, it's better to start a new thread to discuss
> mobile LibO.
> This thread is about what needs to be done to get native Win64 LibO,
> and how to find developers to join the effort.

It has beceom a thread on mobile LibO by default. We've been told that it's more important to cram it into a mobile
device than to do a 64-bit Windows version. Developers can therefore concentrate on how to get people to do spreadsheets
on a cell phone and forget about Win64.

P.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Peter Rodwell Peter Rodwell
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

In reply to this post by Simos Xenitellis
Quoting Simos Xenitellis:

> Per mailing list etiquette, it's better to start a new thread to discuss
> mobile LibO.
> This thread is about what needs to be done to get native Win64 LibO,
> and how to find developers to join the effort.

It has evolved into a thread on mobile LO by default. We've been told that it's more important to cram it into a mobile
device than to do a 64-bit Windows version. Developers can therefore concentrate on how to get people to do spreadsheets
on a cell phone and forget about Win64.

P.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Ian-2 Ian-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LO on mobiles

In reply to this post by Olivier Hallot
On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 11:51 -0200, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> Em 04-11-2010 17:31, e-letter escreveu:
> > In terms of priorities, making LO the default for mobile (e.g.
> > android) is more important than windoze.
> >
>
> Wrong as of today. Windows counts of more than 95% of LO/OOo use. See
> download stats in OOo portal. Maybe in some future for mobiles.

What matters is future take up not just current installed base. Windows
counts for 95% because Windows is 95% of the only platforms on which OOo
runs. That is simple stats.

> Much has been written in this thread, I make my point:
>
> Focus on what managers need(*). They need good spreadsheets and good
> presentations (Text document's are clerk's job).

They already have it in the current versions. Tweaking them with a few
additional bells and whistles is not going to make any really
significant difference to the volume of take up.

> On mobiles: care to start make a ODP (presentation) and spreadsheet
> (ODS) viewers. Just in case you realy don't want to carry your
> laptop/netbook, because HDMI output is becoming standard on mobiles.

Really if all you want is a viewer, upload your work to Google Docs and
display it from the web.

> (*) managers, sign checks and shout loud when things go wrong.

So? What matters is what people need and most people will soon have a
smart phone and they will start to question why they need a PC at all.
The consumer market is much bigger than the industrial professional
market and extends into massive volume in developing countries that have
still to take up any significant technology.

Read up Prof. Clay Christensen's work on disruptive innovation to see
why new technologies displace established ones.

> Olivier Hallot
> Comitê Executivo
> The Document Foundation


--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
A new approach to assessment for learning
www.theINGOTs.org - 01827 305940

You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

jonathon-3 jonathon-3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

In reply to this post by Ian-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 11/04/2010 10:32 PM, Ian wrote:

> Ask how many 15 year olds have drafted an essay on their cell phone.

The primary demographic that writes 携帯小説 (keitai shousetsu) is
believed to be females between the age of sixteen and twenty six.

OTOH, the first work to be described as 携帯小説 was written by a thirty
year old male.

On the gripping hand, 携帯小説 isn't really relevant to migrating an
office suite to a mobile device, except as pointer to what people have
already done.

Perhaps its only usefulness is in showing why LibO requires a Japanese
UI on any mobile platform it is ported to.

jonathon



-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkzUnLEACgkQaC1raifmCuGZwwCcDsi4HAJekddloA1AP4xai3uH
FRQAn1qhYa0CyRT0TRCls1OMWpVR2Tzo
=D0RW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

Ian-2 Ian-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: x86_64 Windows build

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 00:09 +0000, jonathon wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 11/04/2010 10:32 PM, Ian wrote:
>
> > Ask how many 15 year olds have drafted an essay on their cell phone.
>
> The primary demographic that writes 携帯小説 (keitai shousetsu) is
> believed to be females between the age of sixteen and twenty six.
>
> OTOH, the first work to be described as 携帯小説 was written by a thirty
> year old male.
>
> On the gripping hand, 携帯小説 isn't really relevant to migrating an
> office suite to a mobile device, except as pointer to what people have
> already done.

Exactly, and what is likely to happen is production of different form
factors as more clone manufacturers realise there are new markets
opening up for these technologies. I know at least one development
company producing a device that will plug into Wifi, large screen and
keyboard based on these technologies with a sub $50 target retail price.

With any new way of working, by definition, it is innovators and early
adopters that make it safe for the early and late majority to venture
into the water.

> Perhaps its only usefulness is in showing why LibO requires a Japanese
> UI on any mobile platform it is ported to.

Probably that too but first you have to decide the basic project is
worth doing and then find the resources to do it.

> jonathon


--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
A new approach to assessment for learning
www.theINGOTs.org - 01827 305940

You have received this email from the following company: The Learning
Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and Wales.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: Email to [hidden email]
Posting guidelines: http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Archive: http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived ***

12 « Prev